Postdoctoral Researcher / Researcher / Doctoral Researcher (gamification / VR, AR, MR / esports), 2-4 positions
Gamification Group (GG) at Faculty of information Technology and Communication Science, Tampere University (headed by Prof. Hamari) is internationally revered for seminal academic and societal contributions in the areas of novel technologies such as motivational information systems (e.g. gamification, game-based learning, quantified-self, persuasive technologies), internet commerce (e.g. crowdsourcing, crowdfunding, sharing economies, game economies), new media (e.g. esports, streaming, immersive journalism) as well as human-computer interaction (VR, wearables, transhumanism, user interfaces). However, GG is especially recognized as the birthing ground for the general umbrella field of gamification research where GG is one of the most prolific research groups internationally in its pursuit to wield gameful approaches towards the flourishing of the planet, people and prosperity.
The higher education community of Tampere University and Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Finland’s second largest multidisciplinary higher education institution, places its faith in human potential and scientific knowledge. The spearheads of our research and learning are technology, health and society. Read more: www.tuni.fi
Work is mainly composed of research activities including research planning, data gathering (possibly including the development of technical solutions for experiments), data analysis, article preparation, dissemination and publishing. Moreover, the candidate is expected to participate in research group and project -wide academic service activities and funding acquisition. Teaching load is between 0-15% which will be negotiated. In the PhD candidate position, candidates will be expected to enroll into an applicable doctoral program in the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication Sciences.
We especially encourage applicants with keen interest to work within the following profiles to apply. However, all applications in the general area are welcome and sought for.
- Consumer behavior and decision making in gamified / gamblified and XR (VR, AR, MR and multimodal, multisense) environments
- Gameful approaches for sustainability (ecological, economical, social, cultural)
- Gamification and VR in Bioinformatics – Apply through this call: https://webpages.tuni.fi/gamification/2020/12/21/msca-itn/.
- Applicable degree: i.e. Master’s degree or equivalent and PhD degree in case of postdoctoral position
Useful skills, methods and background areas to master
- Aptitude for quantitative empirical research (field/lab experiment, surveys and related applicable data analysis)
- Abilities in developing hardware prototypes (toward creation of gameful wearables, drones etc.)
- Background knowledge of (applied) psychology
- Aptitude for psychophysiological (e.g. EEG, EDA, cardiovascular measures, muscle activity, pupillometry and eye movement) and psychometric measurement
- Command of the application area of your research towards applying gameful approaches to (e.g. health, education, work, marketing, finance, economy, ecology etc.)
- Drive for a career in research
- Impeccable academic article writing/preparation productivity
- Drive for rigorous and impactful research
- Drive for a career in research
- Duration of employment: Fixed-term position ranging between 2-4 years. A trial period of six (6) months applies to all our new employees.
- Employment start date: Immediately or as soon as possible.
- Salary: The salary will be based on both the job requirements and the employee’s personal performance in accordance with the salary system of Finnish universities. The minimum starting salary will be approximately 3400 EUR/month in a Postdoc position and approximately between 2300 – 3000 EUR/month in Researcher and Doctoral Researcher positions depending on the career stage.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, such as occupational health care, flexible working hours, excellent sports facilities on campus and several restaurants and cafés on campus with staff discounts. Please read more about working at Tampere University.
Tampere is one of the major academic hubs in the Nordic countries and offers a dynamic living environment. Tampere region is one of the three most rapidly growing urban areas in Finland and home to a vibrant knowledge-intensive entrepreneurial community. The city is an industrial powerhouse that enjoys a rich cultural scene and a reputation as a centre of Finland’s information society. Tampere is an epicenter of game research internationally. For more information on Tampere and Finland, please visit:
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system (link below). The closing date for applications is 31 January 2021 (at 23.59 EET / 20.59 UTC). Please write your application and all accompanying documentation in English and attach them in PDF format only.
List the attachments that candidates should append to their applications:
- List of publications
- Research plan outlining your envisioned research project/activities for the next 2/4 years and its deliverables (possibly including the continued activities from 2020 and its deliverables)
- One or two samples of academic writing (e.g. articles)
- A letter (max 1 page) that briefly outlines: Motivation to apply, earliest starting date and any other miscellaneous remarks that the candidate wishes to make
Professor, Juho Hamari, firstname.lastname@example.org