|The Eighth International Workshop on Matrices and Statistics
The Eighth International Workshop on Matrices and Statistics was held at the University of Tampere, Finland, on Friday, August 6th and Saturday, August 7th, 1999. This Workshop was a Satellite Conference of the 52nd Session of the International Statistical Institute (ISI) to be held in Helsinki from Tuesday, August 10th through Wednesday, August 18th, 1999.
The purpose of this Eighth Workshop was to stimulate research and, in an informal setting, to foster the interaction of researchers in the interface between matrix theory and statistics. This Workshop provided a forum through which scientists working in the areas of linear algebra/matrix theory and/or statistics may be better informed of the latest developments and newest techniques and may exchange ideas with researchers from several different countries. Selected fully-refereed papers from this Workshop was published in a Special Issue on Linear Algebra and Statistics of Linear Algebra and Its Applications.
The International Organizing Committee for this Workshop comprises R. William Farebrother (Victoria Univ. of Manchester, England), Simo Puntanen (Univ. of Tampere; chair), George P. H. Styan (McGill Univ., Montréal, Canada; vice-chair), Hans Joachim Werner (Univ. of Bonn, Germany). The Local Organizing Committee at the University of Tampere comprises Simo Puntanen (chair), Erkki Liski, Tapio Nummi, Jyrki Ollikainen, and Riitta Järvinen, with the assistance of Poika Isokoski, Petri Latva-Rasku, Riina Metsänoja and Anne Puustelli.
This Workshop was the eighth in a series. The previous seven Workshops
were held as follows:
(1) Tampere, Finland: August 1990,
(2) Auckland, New Zealand: December 1992,
(3) Tartu, Estonia: May 1994,
(4) Montréal, Québec, Canada: July 1995,
(5) Shrewsbury, England: July 1996,
(6) Istanbul, Turkey: August 1997.
(7) The 7th Workshop was held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA: 1114 December 1998, and was in celebration of T. W. Anderson's 80th Birthday.
(9) The 9th Workshop will be held in Hyderabad, India: 9-13 December 2000, in celebration of C. R. Rao's 80th birthday.
* Historically, people of Häme region (where Tampere belongs to) are considered the most reserved and introverted in Finland.
[Main Page] [How to reach Tampere]